Holiday cheer can bring oral health fears if one is not careful with all the festive celebrations. It’s important to keep your teeth and gums safe and sound during this busy season. Be mindful of any activity or treat this year that could crack or chip your teeth. Some of the most common culprits are listed below:
- As candy canes become larger and larger, the risk of tooth damage becomes greater and greater.
- Hard candies are a staple of most holiday treats, so be cautious when biting into them, or you may suffer an oral accident.
- If you are considering sports such as ice skating, skiing, or hockey, always remember to wear a mouth guard.
- Try to avoid chewing on ice this winter. Ice cubes, hard snow, and icicles can all crack, chip, or damage your teeth.
- If you are considering have your tongue pierced, many metal bars and brackets used for cosmetic piercings can easily crack or chip your teeth.
- The holiday season can be stressful at times, but don’t resort to biting on your nails, which can fracture your teeth.
Take care of your teeth and gums this holidays season, and they will reward you with many more joyous seasons to come. To make an appointment with Dr. Joe Rigg, please call our team in Aberdeen, South Dakota at 605-225-2050 today. Look after your pearly whites and you can enjoy your holiday season with a confident smile!